Blue Ice Cave Adventure
Blue Ice Cave Adventure
Includes Super Jeep ride with a glacier trained local guide
In this tour, you will experience a unique natural ice cave in the wonders of Vatnajökull glacier, Europe’s largest ice cap. The tour is suitable for those who want to visit a more isolated ice cave and more difficult to access. This tour offers you great photo opportunities and an unforgettable experience. The level of this tour is hard
We visit one ice cave in this tour that we choose each day according to safety and weather. This cave is more difficult to access and therefore we offer it as a more quiet and personal tour for our participants, where we have only up to 8 persons in each group.
Our guides decide if it´s safe enough to do the tour according to weather and safety conditions. If we cancel the tour due to weather or safety conditions it is refundable. The ice cave tour can take between 5 – 7 hours. The meeting point is at Hali Country Hotel, 13 km east of Jökulsárlón. The tour is guided by a specialist in glaciers and ice caves. Driving to the location can take 25 – 30 minutes and the walk to the ice cave can take 45 – 90 minutes. We spend approximately 1 hour in the cave. You should have in mind that the walking on this tour is always in the pure Icelandic nature, on gravel, rough terrain and sometimes on a glacier.
Meeting point: Hali Country Hotel reception
Area: South East Iceland
Level: Medium – Hard
Group max: 8 people
Duration: 5-7 hours
How much hiking can you expect during the tour
The hike is around 3 km one way to the cave. So in total, it is around 6 km during the trip. Part of it, around 2 km (4 km in total) can be on glaciated terrain were crampons and other glacier equipment is necessary. The other part is on a rocky and sometimes uneven terrain.The terrain might be totally or partly covered with snow or slippery ice where the micro spikes we give you come in handy.
It is not allowed to fly drones during the tour.
|Best price guarantee|
|No hidden costs|
|Minimum age: 14 years|
What is included
What you will get from us to carry with you. This is depending on conditions so some gear might be left behind.
– Climbing helmet and a headlamp (always)
– Crampons to walk on the glacier (if needed)
– Walking harness (if needed)
– Ice axe (if needed)
– Light weight rubber boots to be able to cross a small stream to go in the ice cave (if
– Micro spikes to walk on slippery rocky terrain (if needed)
– Small 22 l bag that can be put on the back to carry the rubber boots (if needed)
– Woolen socks
– Good waterproof hiking boots, high with good ankle support (can be rented from us)
– Base layer- wool or synthetic (no cotton!)
– Light and comfortable hiking trousers softshell for example (no jeans!)
– Wind and waterproof trousers
– Full sleeve base layer wool or synthetic (no cotton!)
– Thin fleece or similar
– Thick warm fleece, or puffy jacket down or synthetic, or just a nice warm jacket.
– Wind and waterproof jacket.
– Gloves. It´s good to have two pairs.
– Warm hat/beanie that might work under a helmet.
Note: beaine’s with pompom are not recommended since the pompom does not go
under the helmet.
– Buff or balaclava or neck gaiter.
– Backpack 28-40 L, that can room your equipment, camera food and drink for the day
and so on.
– Food for 6 hours tour
– 1-2 sandwiches depending on how much you need.
– 700 ml – 1 L of water or something else you like to drink (non alcoholic).
– Some energy rich and light food like 2-3 chocolate bars or something similar.
- Be at our meeting point 20 minutes before departure time.
- Driving in Iceland in the winter time can take much longer than during the summer. We recommend you stay somewhere close to Hali the night before the tour. You can find accommodation suggestion under useful information on our front page.
- You can find useful information about the weather at www.vedur.is and the road conditions at www.road.is
- Participants should be able to walk long distance in different situations.
- Glacier Adventure can´t guarantee to be the only tour company visiting the ice cave during our tour.
Ice Cave tours are weather dependent. Sometimes Ice Cave tours get cancelled with short notice due to safety or weather reasons. After a heavy rain previous days before the tour, the cave sometimes get´s full of water. It can also be too warm for us to enter the caves, the ice can be unstable and not safe to go under. If that happens, we usually have other options if the weather allows, Super Jeep and Glacier Explore, where we drive to the glacier edge and explore the glacier tongue with many amazing picture moments. You can read about the tour here. This tour we offer for a lower price. If you don´t want to take the Jeep tour we can also give you a 100% refund.
Disclaimer: All glacier trips are undertaken at the responsibility of participants. Glacier Adventure does not assume any responsibility for accidents which are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions.
PHOTOS FROM EARLIER ICE CAVES (IT´S AN EVER CHANGING GLACIER AND WE FIND NEW ONES EVERY YEAR)
Meeting Point Information
The meeting point is at Hali Country Hotel, 13 km east of Jökulsárlón (www.hali.is).